Coinciding with the 50th Anniversary of the National Wilderness Conference, Richard Levy Gallery is pleased to present Journey to Wilderness, a selection of large-scale photographs from the series Wilderness by internationally acclaimed artist Debra Bloomfield. In a time when our environmental impact is greater than ever, Bloomfield focusses her camera on the rugged terrain of Alaska and raises awareness by visually elucidating the importance of continued preservation of wild places. The Wilderness series developed through multiple trips to the extreme northwest and took over five years to complete.
Bloomfield’s process includes researching the historical, cultural, and sociological components of each region she experiences. When exploring the far north, one accesses the wilderness by air or water — these far away places are not reachable by car. Her journey unfolds in steps: first on an airplane, then by public ferry, then on foot. The series follows her navigation through the environment revealing what it feels like to be there, appreciate it, value its existence and have concern for its future. Conservationist and author Terry Tempest Williams wrote,“Bloomfield has articulated something new and very old at once; a contemplative collaboration of reflective activism.”
The artist is donating a photograph to be raffled off Saturday, September 27 from 6-8 pm during the artist reception. This fundraiser benefits the New Mexico Wilderness Alliance.
Debra Bloomfield is on faculty at the San Francisco Art Institute. Her work is included in the collections of the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art,The Victoria and Albert Museum in London and the Center for Creative Photography in Tucson among numerous others. !
Additional events for Debra Bloomfield include:
• Book signing of Wilderness published by UNM Press – Sunday, September 28, 3:00pm at Bookworks, Albuquerque
• Book signing of Wilderness – Tuesday, October 14, 2:00-3:00 pm at the New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science
• Art and Science Tea (or coffee) & conversation – Tuesday, October 14, 3:00-5:00pm at the New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science.This event is dedicated to Margaret (Mardy) Murie, 1902-2003
• Experience Track presentation for the National Wilderness Conference – Thursday, October, 16, 10:15-11:45am at the Hyatt Regency
• Book signing – Friday, October 17, 5:30pm at Collected Works Bookstore, Santa Fe !Images for this exhibition can be found on our website www.levygallery.com. High resolution images are available on request.
Dates: September 27–October 24, 2014
Reception: September 27, 6–8 pm
Hours: Tuesday–Saturday, 11 am–4 pm
Location: 514 Central Avenue SW, Albuquerque, NM 87102
Contact: 505.766.9888, firstname.lastname@example.org, www.levygallery.com @levygallery